Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My first ever blog post!

It’s taken me almost two years to get around to this blogging thing! Let’s face it – there are many, many full timer blogs out ‘there’ so I’ had been wondering – who needs one more?! Finally, after much prodding (from those who will remain nameless) I am putting fingers to keyboard and setting my thoughts adrift on the page! I hope this ‘release’ will prove worth your time and interest over the period that I’m posting this blog.

When I was in the anticipation stages of full timing I thought that I would create a web page once I ‘hit the road’ - where I would post information and photos of where I was at any given time. I continued to think in this vein as I began my ‘adventure’ – even taking a class on setting up a website while I was situated in the St. Petersburg, FL area in the fall of 2008. For some reason though, I just wasn’t making the time to actually get a web page created. Some, including one of my daughters, thought I should just join Facebook and use that site to accomplish my goal of staying ‘in touch’ with family and friends. That approach didn’t appeal to me - though I must admit I haven’t given that site a thorough ‘looking into’ yet.

I was introduced to ‘blogs’ last fall, when a really nice couple I met at an rv park in Napa CA gave me a card with their blog site info. I was intrigued and within the next day or two I started reading their blog (it’s Laurie and Odel by the way and I know many of you are followers of their blog). Through their blog site, I started reading other full timer’s blogs. To my amazement, I found that each blog is unique and has its own personality or approach and doesn’t seem to be repetitive(?). I became a fan of the blog approach and decided that would be just the thing for me. After all, this ‘full timing-get out there and see this country-do what you want, when you want to’ lifestyle does keep us pretty busy so…. who has time to be writing to everyone individually!

While in active travel mode, I hope to be fairly regular in posting on my blog. I suppose that while I’m lingering in one location for awhile or workamping for a period of time, I will post less frequently?! I’m also thinking that this blog will ‘evolve’ as time moves along. I wanted to search through some of the other full timer’s blogs to their beginning blog so that I could have some idea of what to start off with. After an afternoon of trying to ‘reach back’ on several of the blogs, I found that I either couldn’t get to the first of the blogs or a lot of folks started blogging even before they started out full timing!! All I can say at this point is…..this should be still another interesting adventure folks!!

I welcome you to my blog and hope that you will comment freely (well…..maybe not THAT freely), Thanks for stopping by and here goes…….

13 comments:

Travels with Emma said...

Happy to see you've taken the plunge! Welcome to the blogging world. We're all kind of friendly out here. :)

JB said...

Sometimes it takes a bit to get rolling but once you get the bug your fingers just do the tapping and it is a great way to keep a record of your travels. The older I get the more I need a central place to look back and see where we have been.....lol.

Al Bossence said...

Congrats on your first time ever blog post but I see you haven't followed it up with a 2nd post. We have met Laurie & Odel & what better people to get you started. Don't become discouraged if you don't receive any/many comments or feedback at first. The key is too just keep plugging away at your blog for yourself as often as you can & eventually it will begin to pick up speed. I thought your first post was a great start.....now get out there & smoke up those keys for a second & third blog. Get yourself on a roll.......:))

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogging world. It's kind of like a "cyberspace" family. Look forward to reading your posts.

Margie and Roger said...

Welcome to the land of bloggers. It's a great way to have a journal of your own life and it's a great way to meet other people with an interest in the RVing lifestyle.

Wilf Blakey said...

Welcome to blogland. I have started a blog about a year and a half ago but I am naughty in that I have not done much since last spring but it is fun anyways. Carry on and enjoy your blogging and rv'ing.
Wilf Blakey
Kirkland Lake,Ontario

Gypsy said...

I think you will do just fine. You are a good writer, if your first post is any indication, and if you try to write something every day it will just flow! Good luck, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Barb said...

Welcome from me, too! I plan to buy an RV in about a year, and full-time six months after that. So, you are so far ahead of me, but I'm still enjoying reading all the blogs, and documenting my life pre-RV, too.

Your blog post is dated June 1 - did you write it then and just post it, or have you not posted since June 1? Just curious... Hope you haven't given up! I'd love to see more blogs from solo female RVers.

Barbara

JB said...

The suspense is killing me, what is happening with installment number 2.

Unknown said...

Welcome to the neighborhood Kathy!
- Mary Ann :-)

Sue and Doug said...

welcome to blogville!!..keep writing and we will all keep on reading!!!

Mac said...

Welcome to blogland!..

Laurie & Odel have been an inspiration for many of us that RV and blog.

Mac & Dianna

Sue Malone said...

Hi there Kathy, and WELCOME! Laurie and Odel were my inspiration as well, for years theirs was the only blog I read. However, recently I have discovered this wonderful blogging community as well. Al from the Bayfield Bunch posted your site on his page, so that is how I found you. Also, not all of us are even full-timers, but everyone is friendly. AND you can learn sooooo much from everyone else, and we will learn from you too! Just write from your heart and write what makes YOU happy. I think that is what works best and keeps most of the blogs so individual and readable.